Use the 80/20 Rule for Long Term fast weight loss
By Daniel C Riedel: BA, D.Div, SPN
Article Word Count: 855 (BACK)
PDF Version - (CLICK HERE)
Use the 80/20 Rule by Daniel C Riedel: BA, D.Div, SPN
Responsible behavior is always important to proper weight... long term.
The Holidays are no exception, but many, if not most of us, choose to ignore what we know for just a moment, and go bonkers over holiday food choices.
The sights, smells and tastes of the many foods available during the holidays can lead us all to enjoy high fat, high sugar foods. And many times too much!
At the same time, many times during the year, and more notably during the holidays, many people also have issues with depression and anxiety. This can lead many people to "throw in the towel" on eating properly. In an effort to delay or offset these issues, many people anesthetize themselves with foods, more notably high-carbohydrate or high-sugar foods - Why? These foods affect brain chemistry, dopamine and serotonin, and lead people momentarily feel more relaxed.
Whether it's just over-enjoying the foods of this season, or eating due to life issues - commonly called "Emotional Eating" - Feeling guilty by having these foods, or the feeling of loss that comes with not allowing them in one's diet is commonly noted in medical journals and studies everywhere. Much has been written on these topics.
What we at Body Solutions Rx suggest is applying a 80/20 RULE - A way of approaching eating and many other things that still promotes the higher degree of responsible behavior, along with allowing for those moments where we want to take advantage of things we enjoy or that seem to make us feel better.
In this regard, FOOD is the topic of this writing.
Use the 80/20 Rule:
80 % Nutritious, Healthy Foods
20 % Foods we Enjoy and are not necessarily the best for our bodies
"IF" you are not on a dietary plan like the FAST Diet or other diets to correct your chemistry and eliminate body fat and keep it off, this is easier to handle. Those who eat for their body's needs, or have very little concern for body fat, can handle the 80/20 RULE fairly easily. In this group, your body is able to take those 20% moments and quickly process and eliminate the toxicity of those foods we do not need - cakes, candies, baked goods, high fat foods, and alcohols. It is able to recover quickly and not go into a state that increases obesity and bad health.
However, if you are on a dietary program - especially during the holidays - and feel the need to enjoy some of these items with friends and family, you don't need to be left out! Just use the 80/20 Rule.
Many of you reading this ARE on, or have recently been on, a fat loss plan through Body Solutions Rx. More specifically the PRIME Appetite and Weight Reduction plan, also known as the FAST Diet.
The holidays are here. You want some of that Apple Pie, Fudge, Chocolate, or other treats that are at all the parties you are going to. What do you do? This is a common issue I hear about all the time. And clients are fearful that if they have anything, their fat loss programs are going to end, or they are going to start gaining fat again.
However, it is believed that allowing yourself some moments of enjoyment of these foods can increase your feelings of satisfaction, mental uplift, and being part of the season. If you feel you WANT something, and you are 80% or better when it comes to eating the right foods, ALLOW YOURSELF a treat! YOU WILL enjoy the moment. YOU WILL feel that you have taken part. YOU WILL now be able to go back and concentrate on eating right and sending your time being social and productive. AND THE FEELING of wanting can be eliminated.
You have plenty of time ahead of you to eat right, exercise, and "do the right thing." The occasional treat or moment when you get into the wrong foods is just a "moment", and not something that should cause you stress or worry. Part of creating a healthy body, and not just beein gfocused on weigh tloss, is to also recognize moments where something - even desert - can give you the momentary satisfaction that allows you to then again get back to doing the right thing.
If you are dieting at this time, take a moment to enjoy. Your body WILL forgive you. Your body WILL continue on the correct path. You WILL still accomplish the goals you have set out to accomplish, including long term fast weight loss.
So, use the 80/20 Rule and spend 80 % of your time doing what it right for you. Spend some of the remaining 20 % enjoying things that are momentary and feed a want or need.
Enjoy the holidays and look forward to another great year to come. You are on the right path!
Daniel C Riedel: BA, D.Div, SPN, CEO
Body Solutions Rx LLC